Wednesday 26 September 2018

WOYWW486

Late to the party tonight, but better late than never... I am here to offer my desk as part of the great crafting desk nosey that Julia hosts at her blog each Wednesday.
Here is my desk in relative chaos having just decorated a candle using some Christmas tissue paper and melting it onto the outside of the candle using my heat gun.  I haven't used this technique in a number of years, but at our church weekend away, this coming weekend, I have been roped into organising and running the crafts, one of which is decorating candles.  People are going to draw their designs on tissue paper and then I will melt them onto the candles so I needed a practice!  On my desk as well as the greaseproof paper, tissues, candle and heat gun, you can see my almost empty mug of tea, a packet of pez (a kind gift from Alex), a ruler and scissors.
Here is a close up of the candle - not bad for the first attempt in ages and I didnt scorch my fingers either!
In addition to decorating candles we are also going to be decorating pebbles so I have spent some time washing sand off pebbles and them priming them in white so that the pens and paint will show up nicely. There should be enough in this box I hope! 
Here is my sample decorated pebble - I've not done this before so it was fun to play.... I can't get the photo to rotate sadly!  I am very much looking forward to this church weekend away - about 100 of us are going, all ages from 12 months old to 93 and Adrian & Bridgett Plass will be speaking which is very exciting.  I will report back how I get on with the crafts next week.  That's all from me for now... keeping it short and sweet this week.  Have a good week everyone.
Love
Caro
x

18 comments:

Sarah Brennan said...

What a fabulous contribution you will be making to the church weekend Caro. I'm sure both projects will go down really well, they are great ideas. Thanks for visiting already. Sarah #2

Lindart said...

Sounds like you are going to have a fun time! I remember making those candles way back as well! Yours is delightful! Thanks for your visit, happy fall, and have a great week, Lindart #21

Diana Taylor said...

I love the candle technique, what a fab idea. You've done a brilliant job, it looks very professional. I will add that to the list of things I really, really want to try! I love the stone too.
Hope you have a great week,
Diana x #13

Helen said...

I haven't done that with candles for years either! might have to have another go. the pebbles will be good fun, too. Helen #7

Julia Dunnit said...

Well Caro, how you make time to do all the preparation is amazing, I’m sure that youre in for a really great weekend. I remember Pez with fondness, how sweet of Alex to share his bounty!

StampinCarol said...

Your candle looks great! I haven't done this is ages! Hope the event is a success! Love the pebbles, too. I've never tried that but have seen many on blogs!
Thanks for popping by!
Carol N #18

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving the candles but of course my favourite technique at the moment is the pebble painting and I'm working on pumpkins at the moment. Love what you've done with yours too. Have a lovely creative week and happy woyww, Angela x16x

Lunch Lady Jan said...

The candle is fantastic, I hope it goes really well at the weekend, also painting the pebbles!!
Hugs LLJ 6 xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Looks as though you are heading for a great weekend! Looking forward to seeing photos! Chrisx 24

Shoshi said...

I love all the things you are doing for your church Caro - I’ve never tried that candle technique and the finish looks amazing with no wrinkles! Painting pebbles seems to be all the rage at the moment - so nice that your first effort is a Gospel one! Beautiful colours on it too. Thank you for your lovely comment and I’m glad you enjoyed my relaxed carrot - I adore wonky veg!! The kitties are endlessly entertaining and they are getting much more affectionate and demanding cuddles now it’s getting colder. Last winter they were too little and just wanted to play but now they are turning into proper little lap cats which is what we wanted! (Of course, with kitties, it’s really all about warmth and not affection haha!) Thank you for your good wishes for the scan - I hope they don’t keep me waiting too long for the result.

God bless and happy WOYWW,
Shoshi #9

Stacy Sheldon said...

Hi Caro, Ooh sounds like a fun time away and that you picked fun things for them to do too. I know a few people who have been painting rocks this year. ( and they hide them in public places for other people to "find" ) type things. that candle looks very cute too. ~Stacy #20

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Sounds like you are in for a very creative weekend Caro, hand designed candles are a great way to give a personal gift but I have to agree it does take practice to get that perfect melt.
The pebbles will be a great medium for people to work on, you are doing all the hard work preping.
Have a great weekend and Thank you for sharing WOYWW Tracey #4

Sue said...

Hi Caro, Love the candle.

Hope you have a lovely time at the weekend away.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #11

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Caro, the candle experiment looks fab. Can you tell me, do they burn safely after having tissue added? A crafter in a Fb group I'm in asked that question a day or two ago, and I didn't know how to answer- always good to have random info, lol. Have a lovely week, hugs, Shaz #10 X

Claire said...

Boy, that's a lot decorating to do... good luck! Thanks for the visit :)
Happy belated WOYWW!
Claire no.3

Marit said...

I love the candle, never tried that myself and maybe I should.. doesn't the 'paper' burn when the candle is lit? Oh, it's melted in wax of course... hmm, I might google that technique and go for it. I'm late 'doing the round' as it's always weekend already... and you will be away on the Church weeken, enjoy enjoy! Marit #8

Neet said...

First and foremost enjoy your weekend. That is a large congregation.
Good luck with the rock painting, you could set up a production line with all of those.
Hugs, Neet 27 xx

glitterandglue said...

Hi Caro. Hope your church weekend away is going great guns! Will be such fun to have Adrian Plass there - a laugh a minute I imagine! The candle looks great, and the stones are all ready for everyone to do their own design.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #1